Monday 23 November 2009

M is For Music

So here’s the thing. It’s one thing to have a full selection of your favourite songs in mind. But just because they are your favourite, does that mean you always listen to them?

I have a plug in on iTunes called Last.Fm, which tracks every song I play and collates that on a website, where I can see which songs I listen to most. Looking on there now, there are two lists that are interesting: the most popular artists and the most popular songs.

Most popular song: Elliot’s Song – J A Marczak.

Blood runs thicker than water, it’s true. Whilst I take no credit for my brother becoming the artist he has become, I take great pride in all the music he creates, and this data proves it. In the last 12 months I’ve listened to the track more than 20 times, and that’s just the plays that have been picked up. It’s a wonderfully evocative song, completely self-produced, with one of the best guitar solos I’ve ever heard. And you can hear it here.

Most Popular Artist - Athlete.

Sometimes the system gets it wrong. Athlete are not my favourite band, probably not even my second favourite, but every so often the statistics get skewed. Like the time we went on holiday to Canada, and my daughter would only go to bed if I put “Tourist” on repeat at bed time.

So there you have it. In fact 6 Athlete tracks feature in my top ten most played. For such a music fan as myself, it’s a comfort that much of the music that I enjoy so much is yet to reach the mainstream. Top of the list is “Can’t Stand The Rain” by The Rescues. This is a track I came across on thesixtyone, and have been hooked on ever since. A band that produces what my brother would describe as “Scrubs Music”, this California foursome appear to have everything in their locker, apart from a CD that I can actually buy. But you can find their music here.

No comments:

Post a Comment